There are many web sites out there claiming to sell authentic designer handbags. Unfortunately, many of these web sites, although claiming to sell authentic handbags, are in reality selling fakes. Here are some simple tips that can help you figure out whether a web site is selling authentic goods.
1. Guarantee: A web site selling authentic hand bags will always have a guarantee: Authentic or money back. If this policy is not listed on the web site, contact the web site operators to find out if they offer such a guarantee. If they don’t it indicates that they are not so very much convinced that the goods they are selling are really authentic.
2. Quality: If the web site claims that the products being sold are of the best quality, or something along these lines, something is wrong. If they are selling authentic goods, then the quality is constant and is equal to the quality offered by each competitor. If they talk about offering good quality, they are really saying that they have good quality fakes.
3. Chinese connections: Companies based in China are almost always selling fakes. To find out where a company is based, go to http://whois.sc and enter the domain name. You will normally see who registered this domain. If this is an address in China, stay away. The domain information will also include the IP address. Click on this IP address and see it’s information. You will, amongst other things, get a location. If the location is in China, stay away.
4. Louis Vuitton: If a web site is selling Louis Vuitton goods, this is usually a very bad sign. The only web sites that sell authentic Louis Vuitton goods are eluxury.com and vuitton.com. Other web sites may have a limited choice available in limited qualities, but even that is exceptional. Some people do sell authentic Louis Vuitton on eBay. These sellers will usually be a member of MyPoupette. Look for the MyPoupette logo before buying Louis Vuitton from eBay.
5. Contact: A trust worthy web site will list a street address. If a web site does not list a street address or phone number, stay away.
6. Return policy: Stay away from web sites that will not take returns.
There is no simply formula that will determine whether a web site sells authentic designer handbags. You always have to use your own judgment. But the above rules should help you make this judgment with better confidence.
Henk Devos is the founder of Genuine Designer Bags, a great source for authentic handbags by Fendi, Gucci, JP Tod’s, Marc Jacobs and more.